Sunday, February 17, 2008

Mitch Albom's "For One More Day"

Mitch Albom has done it again with this surefire tearjerker. Divorce, death, and an extra day to feel a mother's unconditional love are more than enough to make your lips quiver and choke back tears. My mom and I are pretty much close, but the chapters that speak of "Times My Mother Stood Up For Me" and "Times I Did Not Stand Up For My Mother" definitely sent me on a big-time guilt trip.

He tells of the story of Charles "Chick" Benetto, a retired baseball player who has the world on his shoulders, and his one-day reunion with his mom who had passed away years before. It runs the way "The Five People You Meet In Heaven" did, and it's just as poignant.

I liked the way the story jumped from one time period to another without confusing me too much, with surprising revelations here and there. One tip though, if you plan to read the book, it would be better to read it in one sweep rather than reading it during breaks, while on transit, etc. as you might get confused with who's who and what's happening... at para na rin mas tagos sa buto! :)

"...there's a story behind everything... but behind your stories is your mother's story, because hers is where yours begin."

No comments: